Sunday, November 4, 2007

Inaugural Post

Welcome to my new blog! I'll be posting stories and pictures over the next several months about my time Berlin. Thanks to those friends who suggested I start a blog! This way I don't have to spam everybody when I've posted a new batch of pictures, but I can easily update you on my adventures living overseas (such as inadvertently purchasing whole milk instead of skim from the grocery store, bleh!).

Yesterday a group of us took a day trip to the town of Potsdam, which is about 30 minutes outside of Berlin. It used to be the residence of Frederick the Great and other royalties. More recently, it was the site of the 1945 Potsdam Conference where Stalin, Churchill and Truman essentially carved up post-war Germany. It was a gorgeous fall day and the architecture of the various palaces was really fascinating. We joined a German/English tour that took us around to a number of the main sites in the town. The most challenging task was deciphering when the tour guide had switched from German to English! It ended up not being the most informative tour - even the German speakers in the group were having trouble, and they got to hear the dialogue twice! But fortunately we could supplement the tour with info from the guide books and cumulative prior internet research. It was a true collaborative event for our group! I've posted some pictures of this trip which you can see using the "Jenny's photos" link on the side.

2 comments:

Lawrence Lee said...

Hi Jenny,
Thanks for starting this blog and keeping us updated. I didn't know that getting whole milk instead of skim milk is an adventure. Maybe getting reindeer milk would have qualified...
Good to hear about your trip and thanks for the photos.
I was surfing online and the only bible church I found was in Berlin, NH, probably some ways from where you are. Have you tried the International Baptist Church http://www.ibcberlin.org/?
Take care and God bless!
Lawrence
(going back to Singapore Tuesday)

allisonfamily said...

Welcome to blogtown :-) Next thing you know, you'll be visiting Secondlife (oh, I see you're there already :-) Actually, I think this is a terrific way to pass the news to those who wait with bated breath for News of Jenny Doings. (Bated breath has nothing to do with screeching in :-)

-- The Allisons