Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I'm an ISFP (Introvert, Sensing, Feeling, Perceiving)

The past two days of the Genesis Park program have been focused on team building, with specific emphasis on learning what our Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is and how that impacts our interactions with the rest of the group. You can refer to this site for an succinct summary of MBTI, if interested. It was very helpful that they organized the program to present this topic after we've had a couple weeks to work together, because we could really identify with each others' results based on our experience.

My scores for the first three traits were really low, indicating that I'm more in the middle for these. Also, since the first three were so low, I had to evaluate which side of the spectrum I most thought I fell on. My true test results originally showed me as INTP (Introvert, Intuition, Thinking, Perceiving), but after reading the descriptions and discussing the individual traits with the coaches, I landed on my final type. Here is how ISFPs are described (I'll spare you the full 2-page analysis):
"Low-key, flexible, and modest, ISFPs work well when they can meet the individual needs of people in a direct and personal manner. Valuing harmony and tolerance, they are genuine, sincere, and open minded. They enhance their work environments by ensuring that people are cared for with kindness and artistry."

By way of comparison, here is the description for the INTP (my initial type):
"Analytical, intellectual, and ingenious, INTPs work well when they can operate independently, search for truth, and use rational approaches to solve complex problems. Their curiosity leads them to research theories, contemplate what makes things work, and discover the long-term consequences of any given strategy or plan."

What do you think? Does one describe me better than another? I'd also be very curious to hear from anyone else who has done MBTI what their type is? I found an online test you could take if interested: MBTI test. Interestingly, I'm the only ISFP in our group. Probably not surprising in a group of accountants, at least half of the group fell out in the E or I STJ type (Sensing, Thinking, Judging).

In unrelated news, I booked a flight to Vienna today for Thanksgiving weekend to meet up with a friend from the UK! So my first travel adventure is officially in the works!!

5 comments:

Sophie Marian said...

Hmm, that's a tough one. I can definitely see traits of you in both. But I think the ISFPs is a better fit overall. You definitely are one of the most low-key, flexible,a nd modest people i know. And you definitely do favlue harmony, as well as making sure people are cared for with kindness. But, I do like the analytical and intellectual description from INTP. So my vote, ISFP with a hint of INTP.
I've had to take the test multiple times, and I think the best description for me is an ENFJ. Though, my E score used to be off the charts, and it's gotten a little closer to the I side. And my J score wasn't all that high.

Well I'm sure that was way more than you wanted to know - but hey, i had a free moment at work.

Heather said...

I agree that the ISFP fits well, but I do see some of the INTP. According to the test website, I am an INTJ...I have been told before that I am an ESFJ...as I read the descriptions, I see parts of me in both. But, I think that the INTJ does describe me more over all.

Heather said...

hmm, the more I read the other personality types, the more I find that I am a mix! :) I think the ISFJ could describe me in a lot of ways too...I'm in the middle between S & N and T & F. As the test shows that I'm only moderately N and slightly T. LOL, so fun! :)

Unknown said...

Every time I take a personality test they make me go to counseling so I don't take them anymore. :-)

allisonfamily said...

We once did typing on everyone in the Business Resource Center, including accountants, buyers, financial analysts, managers ... all 17 in this group. I was astonished ... 17 peas in a pod. Almost exclusively INTJs and INTPs. Oh wait ... there was one E. Interestingly, I later found out that she was the only person in the group who'd gotten her CPA.

-- Burgess (I like to think of myself as a closet E :-) Allison