Friday, February 15, 2008

Web 2.0

Can someone explain to me what Web 2.0 is? I've talked with a couple people in GP and they've tried to describe it to me, but I'm not getting it. Here's what I think I know:
-The "2.0" doesn't mean its update technology... it's more a different way of using the existing technology.
-It's somehow about content superceding form.
-The difference from the orginal web has something to do with user manipulated content and interaction (like facebook, wikis, or SecondLife).

That's about all I know. I don't know what it looks like or how I'll know when I see it (maybe I already have).

There's a creative clip about it on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE

Just wanted to share one of the interesting topics we've been talking about.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a nutshell, it is the "next-gen" for web development and design. Web 1.0 was just a way to retrieve information (i.e. go to website and read it). Web 2.0 take that concept and adds software applications that can run on the user's browser which engages them in manipulating their own data. Places like Facebook in which you browse to but you can put up your own profile, have people interact with that information, and participate with you. Overall a "richer, user experience" than Web 1.0.

Jacob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.