Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

What a great time to do a little something extra for the people you care about! Yesterday Kirsten recruited me to help make cookies for our class. It didn't take much convincing, anything involving cooking or baking and I'm there! We also recruited Ozlem to help because she loves doing things for people and has the biggest kitchen. Mike, who sits near us, overheard enough of our conversations to know we're up to something, but couldn't figure out exactly what and it was killing him. Of course, I can't keep a secret to save my life, so whenever he asks me I just have to smile and look away (don't ever entrust me with State secrets).

Kirsten and I dashed home during lunch to mix up the batter so it would have enough time to chill. Then last night we gathered at Ozlem's. She first fed us and provided us with Turkish coffee to fortify us for the evening.
Thankfully the untried sugar cookie recipe turned out brilliantly (thank you Simply Recipes, my favorite food blog) and the cookies were really easy to roll and cut.
We had to improvise a little along the way, like using a wine bottle as our rolling pin, or using jam instead of food coloring for the icing.
Once the baking was well underway, Kirsten and I started on the decorating.
For me, I'm always happy to decorate the first 2 or 3... then I get impatient and just want them all to be done and creativity goes out the door.
Of course, there's one easy way to cut down on the number of cookies to decorate....
...but I was good and stuck with it until the end. Ozlem helped us with our final decorating push after all the baking was finished.
In the end, they turned out quite well and we had a so much fun making them!


Valentine's Day isn't the huge commercial event that it is in the US, but many people do celebrate by spending extra time together.

"I have loved you with an everlasting love." ~ Jer 31:3

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!


No comments: