Sunday, February 3, 2008

Robbed!

It turns out Berlin isn't as safe as it seemed. Last Sunday afternoon, three people in my apartment building discovered they had been robbed - two of them were friends from Genesis Park. The burglar was pretty thorough taking computers, cameras, cell phones, Blackberries and jewelry. We were all pretty shocked because it has seemed like such a safe area. Unfortunately, that complacency meant that most of us never locked the deadbolt of our door. Since the deadbolt wasn't locked, the apartment's insurance carrier isn't going to cover any of the losses. It's unknown whether the burglar actually had a key, or jimmied the lock.

Finding that out last week was unsettling and pretty freaky. But yesterday, it got worse.... I couldn't find my iPod Shuffle or my Blackberry. I don't use either of those items too frequently here, and it had been over a week since I remembered using them. They weren't in the cabinet where I always kept them and I immediately wondered, "could they have been stolen too? Surely not!" But after turning my apartment completely upside down (and there aren't too many places to look) I decided I had been robbed too! It must have happened last Sunday when I was at church. I'm very puzzled why they didn't take my computer and camera too, but I'm thankful at least that I still have the electronics I use all the time. So I reported the robbery to the apartment and visited the local police station to file a report (more for insurance purposes than anything else). By God's grace, I'm remarkably calm about the event - I was more freaked out last week - so that's a huge blessing!

3 comments:

latrimose said...

Holy CRAP thats terrible! Lock your door lil' miss!

You know that reminds me of when I had my first trouble with German crime...I came out of the gym and my bike tires were completely flat. I looked around - all the bikes in the area had flat tires.

So I started walking my bike home and the tire started falling off. I left it on the side of the road (chained up) - and when I returned later with a patch kit, I realized they only let the air out, they didn't slash the tires.

How nice of them.

Jacob said...

Yikes! Sorry to hear that :(

On the upside, Apple just announced the 16GB iPhone and 32GB iPod touch. I love my touch and for folks who have a lot more music/movies to store on it that 32GB one is a welcome sight. The pricetag... not so much :)

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that :-( You have insurance that covers your apartment in Berlin?