Monday, January 14, 2008

The Hills Are Alive

True confession: The Sound of Music is my favorite movie. Now granted, when Julie and Steve were in their hey-day of acting, I did grow a bit weary of it after seeing 14 different stage versions of the play. But I can still watch the film over and over and know all the songs by heart. So when Mom suggested we take a day trip to Salzburg during our weekend at Munich, I was all over the idea. While in Salzburg, we took the highly-cheesy but oh-so-entertaining SOM bus tour through the city and surrounding countryside, stopping at all the places featured in the film. Julie and I had particular fun re-enacting some of the scenes from Do-Re-Me.

I guess I should back up a bit - my family came to visit me in Germany! Mom, Dad and Julie arrived in Munich Friday morning (sadly the boys and Rachel couldn't make it over). They spent their first day fighting jet lag and seeing a bit of Munich, and then I flew down and met up with them Friday evening. On Saturday, we went into the Bavarian countryside and visited a couple of the impressive castles: Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. Both were gorgeous! Then Sunday was the trip to Salzburg. We did get a bit of real history in while there too by touring Mozart's residence. Here are my pictures from the weekend (warning, there are lots!). I flew back to Berlin Sunday night, having seen nothing more of Munich than the train station and hotel (didn't even make it to the famous beer halls). The rest of the family drove up through Germany and arrived at my place this evening.

Here is a link to my Dad's blog where he's going to be capturing much of their adventures. I'm also hoping to persuade a couple of them to author some guest blogs on my sight this week.

1 comment:

Heather said...

SO fun! Sound of music is one of my favorites too!! I so want to go there one of these days! Tell the fam hello!